SPOTLIGHT

The student news site of South Hadley High School

SPOTLIGHT

SPOTLIGHT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Hamilton’s dedication and love for learning evident in role as English teacher

Olivia Lorenz

Kristen Hamilton, known by her students as Mrs. Hamilton, is an essential member of the English Department. While many are familiar with her work here at the high school, people may not be fully aware of her dedication to public education. Hamilton’s work ethic and commitment are commendable, as she has devoted her career to making a difference in the lives of South Hadley’s young people for the past 29 years. Hamilton taught at the middle school for 12 years before moving on to her current position at the high school, where she has been for the past 17 years.

For students who have the privilege of learning in the classroom where Hamilton teaches, it’s impossible to miss the painting of a whale adorned on her wall. Many may not know that her love for these majestic creatures began way back in first grade under the supervision of Mrs. Cox. Mrs. Cox, her first-grade teacher, shared a fascinating fact about whales with Hamilton, igniting a spark that grew into a deep passion for these gentle giants. Since then, Hamilton has been on a mission to learn everything she can about whales. Mrs. Cox not only sparked the light that ignited her passion for whales but also instilled in her the importance of education, marking the beginning of a career as an educator.

“I learned through my parents, my grandparents, and work as a teacher that how you treat people is one of the most important things people will remember about you,” said Hamilton, a life lesson she has carried with her through every aspect of her life.

Hamilton’s upbringing significantly shaped her into the caring and compassionate individual she is today. Her grandparents were a major influence, and she saw them daily growing up. Their wisdom and guidance were instrumental in helping her become the person she is. “In a way, they raised me just as much as my parents,” Hamilton said.

Her first job as a summer counselor at the Park and Rec department in Enfield played a significant role in her life journey. This experience taught her how to work with people from all walks of life, build relationships, and connect with individuals from various backgrounds. The life lessons she learned during this time are still with her today, and she continues to use them to build strong relationships and connections with the people she meets in her current career.

In her school days, Hamilton was known to be an extremely conscientious and diligent student. She always followed the rules and strived to excel in her studies. As she reminisces about her school days, she fondly recalls her love for learning and the joy it brought her.

In college, Hamilton graduated from Saint Michael’s College in Colchester, Vermont, with a bachelor’s degree in English and a master of education at UMass Amherst. During this time, she also met her loving husband, Drew, an integral part of her family.

Hamilton said that family is the most important thing in life. When asked about it, she couldn’t help but smile. “Family is incredibly important, not only immediate family, but also extended family,” Hamilton said.

Hamilton values her childhood memories, where she spent much time with her cousins. She has a big family; her father was one of thirteen siblings, and their love and support have always surrounded her. “I’ve always been fortunate to have a big family. I’ve always been fortunate to have them live nearby.”

Hamilton’s sister is also not only her sibling but is one of her closest friends. She cherishes all the memories she has shared with her family. Another vital part of her family is her two children, Gia, her 13-year-old daughter, and her 11-year-old son, Nolan.

“Happiness is just having the freedom to do the things you like and the things that bring you joy,” said Hamilton. Hamilton’s most recent happiest memory was of watching her kids learn how to surf in Hawaii on a family trip she took with her parents. She was just so impressed and happy for her kids to try something both she and her husband were hesitant to take up.

Hamilton has a lot to be proud of; she has accomplished many things and achieved countless successes, but the achievement she said stands out the most is the impact she’s had on her students over the years.

“I hope my students will be able to live in a world where realizing their full potential and their happiness will be possible,” she said.