SPOTLIGHT

The student news site of South Hadley High School

SPOTLIGHT

SPOTLIGHT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Meigs making positive impact in the science classroom

Richard Meigs, a hardworking, thoughtful, approachable science teacher at our high school has been impacting the community with his innovative, engaging, and fun activities for the past two years. With the way he cares it’s clear he’s interested in making a positive difference and teaches because he genuinely wants students to leave his room having learned something. This knowledge could be about anything because Meigs is someone students can freely talk to without feeling embarrassed or awkward. 

“I would like students to connect something from my field of science to the real world,” Meigs said. “Outside of science, I hope my students learn a new skill that will help them in the future, whether it involves becoming a leader of their peers, collaborating effectively with others, or reflecting on work to help them reach their goals.”

Growing up, the most influential person in Meigs’ life was his high school physics teacher, TJ Noviello. Noviello was a former NASA astronaut and is now a physics professor at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. It so happened that Meigs and his physics teacher both had mothers who had endured the immune system attack Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The connection they shared drove Meigs’ aspiration to teach and impact students like he did. Megis has been a teacher for the past seven years, actively changing students’ perspectives about the world. His mentor, Dave Sutherland at Franklin High School, was another influential figure who made him the person he is today. Dave was able to show Meigs the difference he was making which helped him gain his confidence as a teacher.

Throughout his years, Meigs has lived and changed into someone different compared to when he was a teen. He’s louder now, but in a good way. He used to always be reserved and never wanted to get out of his comfort zone. Today, Meigs is using his voice to impact both students and colleagues in our school community. In reflecting on his journey, Meigs said one of his most memorable days was when he graduated from UMass Amherst, as the day was celebrated with friends and family important in his life. Another highlight from his college experience was the day Meigs got to march in the Macy’s Day Parade with the UMass marching band.  

Education runs in Meigs family, as his mother has worked as a middle school special education teacher for the past 35 years. Growing up, Meigs got to see first-hand what it was like to be a teacher, and learned how educators can impact their students’ lives.