SPOTLIGHT

The student news site of South Hadley High School

SPOTLIGHT

SPOTLIGHT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Should Schools Alternate to 4-Day School Weeks

Schools in America have been changing recently for the better. Many have altered to a 4 day school week which has many people happy and angry throughout America. The school districts that have changed have many people excited and happy knowing that they have more time to do the things they enjoy with a longer weekend. The school districts that haven’t changed are still stuck with the long 5 day school weeks and have little to no time to do the things they want to do with only a two day weekend. Many people have very busy schedules that prevent them from doing things they enjoy to do with all their responsibilities they have. Altering all schools to a 4 day week schedule will be extremely beneficial for students and teachers, as well as making schools financially stable.

The schools that have a 5 day schedule have many responsibilities inside school and out. The stress of highschool with all the work that comes with it leaves very little time for students to not only complete their work but do the things they enjoy. The work put on to students throughout the school year is heavy and stressful. However, if students had more time to complete the work, they won’t be as stressed out and possibly be more motivated to complete their work to have more time to do other things. 

The schools that have a 4 day school week have had many beneficial outcomes for the students and teachers. A school in Colorado made teachers pay increase by 16%. The original school pay was at an all time low for this school and when they moved to a 4 day school week, the pay grew to one of the higher paying schools in the area. At the same school, the student overall graduation rate increased from 77.4% to 90.99% from the 4 day school week. This shows how students are either more motivated to complete their assignments or simply they have more time to do their work since they have a 3 day weekend. 

I personally believe that if they altered this into all schools across the country it would benefit school communities significantly and would allow students and teachers to have more time outside of school. However, it would be hard to implement this into schools because of the rule that students must have 180 days in school. They could alter this rule by making school days longer to make up for the lost days not in school. Even though there are things standing in the way for this idea to become a reality for all schools, I think this would be a great change for school districts in the future.