SPOTLIGHT

The student news site of South Hadley High School

SPOTLIGHT

SPOTLIGHT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Boston Bruins: Defying The Odds

After a tragic first round exit for the 2022-23 Boston Bruins it was clear that the team would never be the same again. The team was well aware that the tenure of Captains Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci were over. After the loss of their top centers some people were not sure if the Bruins would be able to even make the playoffs. However, with 20 games left in the season the team already has 84 points and are in a race for first place in the division. But how has the team been able to have so much success after losing the heart of their team?

The obvious answer of course, is the replacements have outperformed expectations. That is true as many players have taken on higher roles this season for the B’s and have found another level to their game. Charlie Coyle was the perennial third line center for the bruins for years, known more for his two-way game and ability to be sound in the defensive zone. This year he has an increased role on the second line, usually playing with captain Brad Marchand and veteran Jake Debrusk. Fans were not sure of this move as Coyle didn’t seem to be an ideal second line center on a cup-contending team. However, Coyle has gone above and beyond expectations and as of March 6th has 51 points in just 64 games, on pace to soar over his career high of 56 points. Coyle has been able to replicate the production of former captain David Krejci which has allowed the Bruins to be in the spot they are at the trade deadline.

Their new captain has also been great at leading this team. If there was one thing that was for sure after former captain Patrice Bergeron announced his retirement, it’s that Brad Marchand would take the C. Every Bruins fan knew that Marchand was up to the challenge, but he has thrived in his new role. Marchand has been able to lead the team in the way his former teammates Bergeron, and Chara did before him. His leadership is even more important in a year like 2023-24 for the Bruins because they have many rookies on the roster, including defenseman Mason Lohrei, and forward Matthew Potrias (Potrias will miss the rest of the season due to shoulder surgery). Marchand has been a guy that players like them could go to for questions, and look to as an example on how to play and handle themselves like a pro. Also, even at 35 years old his production has not taken much of a hit either as he has 58 points in 67 games.

The Bruins goalies have also been a brick wall in net once again. Netminders Jeremy Swayman, and Linus Ullmark each have around a 9.20 save percentage which is ranked among the top of the league in goalie tandems. The two also have built a special friendship, and their famous hug after a win is a favorite for the fans. “There’s nothing compared to Linus, though,” Swayman said, “He’s separated himself. There’s no one I’ll ever meet like him again.” He explained the relationship he has with Ullmark, and how it’s great to have two goalies cheering each other on. The Boston Bruins are definitely surprising some people this year, and these players are some of the reasons why. If they’re production continues they are setting themselves up for hopefully a long and memorable postseason run.