SPOTLIGHT

The student news site of South Hadley High School

SPOTLIGHT

SPOTLIGHT

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

UConn: Back To Back?

The Huskies are hungry for seconds
UConn star players featured, proposing they can go back to back.

The UConn Huskies are hungry for seconds, coming into the year as the overall number one seed after claiming the trophy last year as a four seed. Only two mens’ basketball teams have ever won back to back championships, and 25% of America is choosing UConn to be the third.

The utter dominance of this team is absurd, with an average margin of over 17 points, and scoring 80+ points per game. Their whole starting five is even, all averaging somewhere from 12-15 ppg, and many other role players that do their job when they need to. Their lock down defense is impossible to score on, allowing on average less than 65 points to an opposing team. 

Brady Denniston, a firm believer in the huskies feat of going back to back. I asked do you have Uconn winning in any of your brackets. He responded with a firm, “I have them winning in all my brackets. They’re routinely dominant, and Dan Hurley’s coaching style has proven effective. You can count on another NCAA trophy making its way to Storrs.” 

Ryan Macgregor, a Duke University fan, has other opinions about UConn. He says, “UConn is just another overhyped team, I mean people only like them because they won last year with a stronger team and weaker competition.”. He brings up a good point, 7 ‘4 Zach Edey has been looking hard to stop, and looks like a probable matchup in the final. If not, it could be the strong Houston Cougars, and their number one ranked defense in the country stopping them. 

UConn has proven they are able to beat top tier teams, like Gonzaga, Creighton, Kansas, Marquette, and even North Carolina. UConn supporter Colin Zraunig says, “There is no way they can choke, they are too good, and they won last year.” But, they haven’t played teams like FAU or Northwestern who have seniors putting their life on the line for the one game. Anyone who plays UConn has nothing to lose, which is what makes it so pressuring to be the favored team the whole tournament.

The Huskies now have 5 games straight, to prove their worth of another title. That’s all it takes. 5 wins in a row, which they are fairly used to, having 3 7+ game win streaks throughout their regular season. Their journey begins Friday March 22, and who knows when it will end.