Mask-Fishing: What’s revealed when the masks come off

Zhanna Hayes, Staff Reporter

Let’s talk about the term “mask-fishing”. What exactly does it mean? Mask-fishing is the term used to describe a person who is catfishing with a face covering on. “Catfishing” is the process of luring someone into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona. Some look like the exact opposite of what you’d think they would look like, all due to a mask. Most people who do mask-fish get called out on it; they will hear comments such as “OMG you look so different than I thought you would!” Now, how do we know to take that as a compliment or offensive? The thing is, you don’t. What you mainly need to do is read the room, check the tone they used and ask them to elaborate on it.

Mask-fishing is a huge issue going on in our school; you may like someone but as soon as that mask comes off they’re an ick. One source has said that they would love it if they didn’t have to see the boys’ dirt lines under their noses that they call a “mustache.” 

Why is mask-fishing a thing? Mask-fishing went viral on TikTok at the beginning of quarantine. It was a trend to do a “mask reveal” so the viewers could determine if you were attractive or not. Mask-fishing isn’t a top news story but with the mask mandate being lifted it’s now the perfect time to release this. Mask-fishing has changed the lives of many, either you were called a mask-fish in your time or you weren’t. Another source said that “mask-fishing is true, I believe that everyone is a mask-fisher unless I happen to know them and knew what they looked like prior to the pandemic.” 

Some people believe that mask-fishing isn’t real, that it’s just as controversial as catfishing. Your profile may not look like you do, and when you meet the person you’re trying to, they will be shocked when they see you. If not disappointed or angry, annoyed that you lied. The same rules go for mask-fishing. All throughout COVID-19, we wore masks to protect ourselves and others. All we knew of each other was what our eyes looked like, not the facial features or expressions. 

One student said that he was surprised when people had taken off their masks. Their face shape was different than he imagined. You associate eyes with certain facial features, and when people have half of their face covered, you are unable to see their face structure, therefore the term mask-fishing. 

In the end, mask-fishing is totally up to you, you may not think it is real and that is your own personal opinion. Many students agree with me that these claims are held accountable to people’s actions, whether it’s thinking you’re the best and look amazing with a mask on, or if you’re super self conscious with a mask off. It will all circle back to you.